I decided to try preserving some peppers in straight vinegar. See the original recipe on The Bossy Kitchen.
- Serrano peppers
- White wine vinegar or cider apple vinegar (5% or more acidity)
- Mason jars with lids
- Sterilize your jars.
- Pack the jars with peppers tightly so they do not float.
- Add enough vinegar to cover the peppers.
- Seal jars.
- It is recommended to let the peppers sit for at least a month before using.
- Other hot peppers can be preserved this way.
- I imagine the vinegar will be infused with a nice flavor from the peppers. I will have to try this with a basaltic or white balsamic vinegar in the future and see if I can make a nice dressing with it.